intro

In my 75th year, 2012/2013, I will pray for peace in as many places of worship around the world as I can.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Virgini Diparae Sacrum [51]


Couldn't get into this church in Gorlice, Slovakia and am still trying to decipher the Latin inscription that is found over the main door. I gather that it is the Church of the Assumption. Not being able to enter, light a candle or leave a card, I prayed outside. I have added some information found online:

The church was erected in neo-Renaissance style between 1875 and  1890 following the design of Franciszek Pavoni and Maksymilian Nitsch. The characteristic part is the facade referring to classical forms, ornamented with stone sculptures of 4 evangelists and an inscription saying „GORLICENSES VIRGINI DEIPARAE” which means: “From inhabitants of Gorlice to Mother of God, Virgin”. As regards the interior of the church of particular interest is the painting of the Assumption of Heavenly Mother by Jan Styka located in the high altar and the, famous for its grace, statue of Lord Jesus in Jail probably dating back to 16th or 17th century.


No comments:

Post a Comment